Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Looking Up

Psalm 3:3
But Thou, O LORD, art a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head.


Last week at orchestra rehearsal, Dawson Hull (our orchestra conductor) shared a brief word.  I can't get it out of my head and it has nagged me all week.  Job had it right when he said that "Man, who is born of woman, is of few days and full of trouble."  (Job 14:1)  Life has trouble and that's just the way it is.  Even knowing the nearness of God in the times of trouble, sometimes discouragement and disappointment can sneak up on you.  I love the chorus:  Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will go strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.  The psalmist kept his eyes on the Lord and God plucked him out of his trouble.  (Psalm 25:15)  The thing is, we need to keep our eyes on Jesus.  It's when the noise of life storms draws our attention away that we forget just how big and able God is.  It's easy to turn your attention from God to whatever it is that's going wrong just now.  Troubles grow, faith dissipates, and our heads follow our gaze.  That's when the LORD takes His hand under your chin and lifts it for you, bringing your eyes to meet His.  He is the One who will lift your head, even when you can't muster the strength.  What a gentle thought.






No comments:

Post a Comment